Thursday, October 22, 2009

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins

We had a whole bunch of bananas from our tree which was turning brown in the kitchen, and so decided to make some banana chocolate muffins for my family. Just couldn't bring myself to throw them away. After searching for a while, I came across this brilliant recipe which I am going to post it in my blog to share with everyone. Enjoy, and make sure you try it out yourself.
It is easy and yummy! And who doesn't love a soft and moist muffin?

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip MuffinsI put a pinch of salt instead of 1 tsp salt since my first batch of muffins turned out quite saltish. I also substituted 2 tsp of instant Nescafe Gold coffee powder for the espresso powder because that is what I had on hand. I used dark chocolate chips since I just love the bittery (if there's such a word..hehe) taste when I bite into the muffin. Last but not least, I added some macadamia nuts to add a bit of crunch to the soft muffins.

Those who love peanut butter (my uncle!!) can try putting a dollop of peanut butter in the middle of your muffin. Scoop one big spoonful of batter into your muffin cup, drop in your peanut butter and then cover it again with batter :). Remember to put less salt if you want to do this since peanut butter jam contains salt and you want your muffin to be sweet, not savoury.

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
Yield: about 12-14 muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2-1 tsp. espresso powder
(I put 2 tsp instant Nescafe Gold coffee powder +1 tsp hot water then pour it in with your chocolate chips)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas, mashed (about 4 medium sized bananas)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I put 1/4 granulated sugar )
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (about 125gm of butter)
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips (and 1/2 cup of nuts if you want)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F(170'c). Line abt 12-cup muffin pan with paper liner. In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Stir together and set aside. In the bowl, combine the mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, butter, milk and egg until well combined. Make a well in the middle of your flour bowl. Pour wet ingredients into the well and stir until well combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.

For any questions or comments, feel free to email me or post it in this blog. You can also share with me your baking experience by sending me your site link or pictures to post in this blog.

*From Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito

1 comment:

  1. The macadamia nuts were very nice, but maybe next time can try with walnuts instead? They will cut through some of the sweetness in the other ingredients.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete